Background Image (Blurring)
Slideshow Gallery

Archive

The Aysgarth School archive is managed voluntarily by Ted Haslam.

Ted Haslam joined Aysgarth in 1983 as a teacher and left in 1988 for a headship at Barnard Castle. Upon his retirement in 2009, he rejoined Aysgarth in a number of teaching roles including head of Pre-Prep before finally leaving teaching in 2014. As well as maintaining close links with Aysgarth over a number of decades, his grandson is also currently at Aysgarth. 

If you would like to learn more about the history of the School, Ted would be happy to hear from you - please email them via enquiries@aysgarthschool.com.

 

Where Were Performances Held in 1910?

 

With the Construction of a splendid new Sports Hall, pupils and staff shall be able to use the Reynolds Hall exclusively for the Arts. Previously, such events were held in the old Schoolroom, now the Library. The 1910 magazine records the following, "A stage opening has been made between the Big School and the Gym (behind the Strenuus Esto door) closed at ordinary times by a cunning sliding and folding door, but on great occasions such as lectures, concerts and school plays, it forms the proscenium to a stage readily fitted in the Gym, and giving ample room for forty boys if necessary. This turns the Big School into the auditorium, capable of holding over 150 at a pinch. The stage is a clever contrivance evolved by the Joiner's fertile brain, and the lighting thereof, rising on state occasions to 700 candle-power, is a marvel of ingenuity due to our versatile Engineer". The first play seems to have been a performance of 'Alice in Wonderland'.

Treasures Found at Car-Boot Sales

 

In the 2003 edition of the School magazine there is an article under the title 'A remarkable find'. While visiting the weekly car-boot sale at Blochairn on the outskirts of Glasgow, Mr William Gallacher spotted a bundle of letters on Aysgarth paper in a waste bin. Thinking they must be of interest to either the family or the school of the boy concerned, he got in touch with us. The letters were written by Charles F Ward 1894-97 and are particularly poignant as he was one of our 112 O.As killed in the First World War. At the end of last year’s summer holidays, we received a similar letter from a Mr Paul Bonner of Bexhill-On-Sea in Essex telling us that while visiting his local car-boot sale, he had come across a presentation cup engraved “Aysgarth” School Sports Cup 1893 and would we like to have it. This cup would have been given to a boy at the original site by Aysgarth Falls. In return he asked only for a donation to the Macmillan Cancer Support. So the moral of the story: Don’t miss an opportunity to visit a car-boot sale!