From the Head’s Office
What a remarkable turnout for the APPA Big Lunch! We were delighted to welcome 53 parents and grandparents to join the children for a delicious lunch of sweet and sour chicken, followed by chocolate sponge and chocolate custard! The kitchen staff coped admirably with such a large lunchtime service, which everyone seemed to enjoy. Thank you to the APPA committee and Mrs Pinkney who ensured everything ran smoothly. (Photographs inside)
Our year 3 girls and Miss Philips hosted a netball session last Tuesday for Queen Mary’s, their first experience of playing a High-Fives game. Mr MacLelland and I were particularly impressed with the way our girls used the space and worked as a team during the mini-game. The girls are looking forward to playing again with Richmond House on Thursday.
Year 1 also visited Kiplin Hall last week to learn about life in the past, with a focus on toys. Photographs of their visit can be found in the centre pages.
To end a busy week, staff attended the Northern Learning Conference this weekend where the focus was on ‘Happiness through Learning’. We were all suitably inspired and energised to bring lots of smiles to school this week!
With best wishes,
Susie Drake, Head of Pre-Prep
Assembly theme for the week: Being Prepared
Last week’s certificates for Helping Others were presented to:
These children's work was displayed on the Wall of Fame:
Evie Skye Taffs
All of PP1
These children joined Mrs Drake for Friday Lunch
Reception Table: Esme Rowbotham
Blue Table: Annabel Bullas
Yellow Table: Tom Bland
Green Table: Flora Favell
Red Table: Pippa Ogden
Happy Birthday to Elizabeth Gilbert and George Marriott
· Tuesday—Celebrity Chef Day
· Wednesday—Roast Pork
· Thursday—Beef Stroganoff
· Friday—Fish and Chips
· Monday—Meatballs and Spaghetti
Dates for Your Diary
· Thursday 29th January: PP2 Class Visit to Bedale Fire Station and Leyburn Chocolate Factory
* Thursday 29th January: U8 Football and Netball v Richmond House (h)
* Sunday 8th February, 2.00pm: Aysgarthian Run
· Tuesday 10th February: PP3 art afternoon with Queen Mary’s
* Wednesday 11th February: U8 Football v Barnard Castle (a)
· Friday 13th February, 3.30pm: All of Pre-Prep finish for Half Term
· Monday 23rd February: Pre-Prep resumes
* Tuesday 24th February: U8 Football and Hockey v Gateway and Lyndhurst (h)
· Thursday 26th February: PP3 Class Visit to Jorvik and DIG!
· Tuesday 3rd March: PP3 art afternoon with Mowden Hall
* Tuesday 3rd March: U8 Football v Terrington (h)
· Thursday 5th March: PP2 trip to Wensleydale Creamery and Dales Countryside Museum
· Monday 9th March: Wensleydale Tournament Begins, Reception, PP1, PP2, PP3 children will take part during the following week.
* Wednesday 18th March: U8 Football/Netball v Chapter House (h)
* Wednesday 25th March, 1.00pm: Spring Concert
· Wednesday 25th March, 2.15pm: End of Term (lunch as usual)
* Wednesday 25th March, 2.15pm: APPA Easter Egg Hunt
* Parents are welcome to attend these events.
PP1 Class Visit by William Biker
We went to Kiplin Hall. First we put on Sailor collars to pretend to be Victrian children. We listened to a lady, she told us about Sarah Carpenter who was a little girl who played in Kiplin Hall with her toys. I made a cup and ball and we explored the woods at Kiplin Hall.
PP2 Topic Work
PP2 are studying changing materials this term. They have been looking at freezing first using the film Frozen as their inspiration. They made frozen hands and experimented to see what happened to the ice when different substances were put on them.
Please ensure all children have the correct P.E. Kit, uniform and suitable clothes for the winter weather. We still have some children without trainers and wellingtons.
All items must be clearly named. Thank you.