From the Head’s Office
It has been wonderful to welcome back so many smiling and happy children to the Pre-Prep after the summer break. Stories of adventures at home and abroad have filled lunchtime conversation with gasps of excitement and delight. We have some fabulous and very animated story-telling talent! We extend a very warm Aysgarth welcome to our new children, Chloe, Jessica, George, Oscar, Matilda, Hector, Cressida, Penny, Beatrice, Harry and Freddie. We are thrilled to be able to offer gymnastics to every child in the Pre Prep as part of our PE provision this year.
We are very lucky to have recruited Su Dixon, who very well regarded in the area for the superb quality of her gymnastics teaching, to lead these sessions every Friday. Thank you to Mr MacLelland for helping the Pre Prep to secure this opportunity.
Our thanks also goes to Mrs Shaw, who contributed to an article in Independent Education Today magazine which was published last month. Her work to develop ‘mindfulness’ with our reception class has attracted attention across the county and beyond. The children have been using short meditations to increase their focus, awareness of their own and each other’s feelings, with impressive results. You can find a copy of the article on display in the Pre-Prep or by following the link on the schools facebook page (www.facebook.com/AysgarthPrePrep).
We look forward to a busy term ahead with many exciting events and trips planned. Parent’s evenings will be held before half term so that you will have an opportunity to discuss how well your child has settled into their new class. As always, please do come and speak to the teachers or myself if you have any concerns.
With best wishes, Susie Drake, Head of Pre-Prep
We have a new photographer coming this year. She will be here on Friday 25th and Monday 28th September to take pictures of the children and sibling group shots. An email form will be sent out in the next couple of days for you to indicate whether you would like siblings included so that I can work out a schedule. The pictures will be available to purchase (no obligation) before Christmas.
We will be encouraging the children to complete Christmas shoe boxes again this year to be sent to children in need. More information will be sent out in due course but you may want to start collecting small items such as toothbrushes, note pads, pens or small toys to fill the boxes.
You are all invited to our Harvest Service on Friday 16th October. This year we will be collecting items for ‘Storehouse’ food bank at the Influence Church in Richmond. All items of dried or tinned food will be gratefully received although the did mention they have lots of pasta already!
Don’t forget the art competition—’Creatures of Myth and Legend’.
Closing date this Friday.
Grandparents’ Afternoon Tea
We will be repeating our very successful Grandparents’ Afternoon Tea on Friday 20th November. We will be requesting names and address of grandparents who you would like to invite to the tea soon. Once we have these details the children will make and post invitations to their grannies and grandads.
Assembly theme for the week: Friendship
- Cressida Orde-Powlett
- Matilda Howard
Lily MacLeod, who attended Aysgarth School from 2007-2010, gained 2 gold and 3 silver medals for swimming at the English Nationals in Sheffield this year. Lily is visually impaired and swam in multi-classification events. Congratulations to Lily!
Dates for Your Diary
- Thursday 17th September: PP2 Class Trip to Souter Lighthouse
- Thursday 24th September: PP3 Class Trip to Jorvik
- Friday 25th and Monday 28th September: Photographer to take individual and siblings school photographs
- *Friday 25th September: Pre-Prep parents tea with Rob and Lottie Morse
- *Thursday 8th October: Tag Rugby and Netball v Terrington (away)
- *Friday 16th October: Harvest Service
- Friday 23rd October, 3.30pm: Finish for Half Term
- Monday 2nd November: School re-opens
- * Thursday 12th November: Tag Ruby and Netball v Gateways (home)
- * Thursday 19th November: Tag Rugby and Netball v Cundall (away)
- * Friday 20th November: Grandparents Tea
- * Monday 23rd November: Blunderbuss Theatre Company
- * Friday 11th December, 9.30am: Nativity Play in Reynolds Hall
- Tuesday 15th December: Thirsk Rural Arts—Pocket Panto, ‘Aladdin’ performed in school
- * Wednesday 16th December, 9.30am: Carols in Chapel
* Parents are welcome to attend these events.